Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Food Mood-Snowed In

So since moving from Knoxville to Cincinnati I have seen my fair share of snow. The weather is weird, its way colder here in the winter but hotter in the summer than K-town. Anyways, this week both towns have gotten dumped on with a significant amount of snow. The difference is that here in Cincy, life goes on....sometimes slower but people still go to work. Kids did get one day off. But! In Knoxville everyone is home! Not fair! Okay I am done with my rant....I guess I have to deal with it. So, in honor of the cold and snow, here are some comfort foods for this week.

#1 Butter Chicken
The name of this dish is very deceiving. Its Indian. There is a bit of butter. There are a bunch of other ingredients.  Nothing about it would make me call it Butter Chicken. Its yummy! I didn't use Cardamom b/c I didn't have any and it was $12.00 at Kroger (are you kidding me?)

#2 Slow Cooker Beef Stroganoff
Make sure to use all the revisions of the first person that commented. Obviously I have to use GF Cream of Mushroom. Oh, and GF Noodles.

#3 Shrimp Fried Rice
I have made this before with chicken and decided to mix it up this week by using shrimp. Be sure to use GF soy sauce if needed. (LaChoy brand is GF)

#4 Burgers and Argentinean Potato Salad (Ensalada Rusa)
I had potato salad in Argentina like none I have ever had before. I think one of the main differences is that the mayo in Argentina is super yummy. It has a more lemon-y flavor and they use it for everything. It seems weird that there are veggies in this too but trust me, its good! I do use frozen veggies steamed instead of canned.

#5 Pasta Carbonara
This last one was inspired by an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives that I watched the other night. I am going to create this on the go and hopefully will let you know how it goes next week. Maybe even with pictures!

No comments: