Monday, July 26, 2010

Meals for the week July 26-31

Again, I don't designate one of these for each day, instead opting to decide that morning what we are having.....or even that night if I don't need to defrost something for the meal. This is actually the plan from a couple of weeks ago, but that way I can let you know what was good and what wasn't and how easy it was!

Meal #1-Burgers and Oven Fries
This one is pretty self explanatory. I didn't do anything special with these burgers. Seasoned them up with grill seasoning and Worstechire sauce and grilled them. For the fries I just slice up Idaho potatoes Texas fry size and drizzle a little EVOO on them along with some finely minced garlic and bake them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes, turning a couple of times. They should get crispy and the garlic gets roasted. Yummy!

Meal #2-Tilapia Tacos and Spanish Rice
For these tacos I take a couple of fillets of tilapia and marinate in the following:
1/2 pkg of taco seasoning (McCormick is GF)
juice of 2 limes
Let that sit while you are making the other stuff
Combine the other 1/2 pkg of taco seasoning with 3/4 cup of sour cream
Dice up one mango
Make pico de gallo (or buy fresh salsa) and add one diced avocado.
Chop up fresh cilantro
Now place the marinated fish on a baking sheet and put in a 350° oven for about 15 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork.
Assemble some of each ingredient on a warmed corn or flour tortilla. I find that soft ones work better for this recipe.
Oh, and here's the spanish rice to go along with. Be aware this recipe makes a ton so you might want to cut it in half.

Meal #3-Blackened Chicken and Mashed Potatoes
Mmmmm blackened....no that doesn't mean burnt....its a combo of seasonings. Here you go!
Oh, and my mashed potatoes don't have measurements but about 3-4 Idahos, peeled and diced, boiled then mashed with 1/2 stick butter and 3/4 cup sour cream and Tony Cachere's seasoning should do it.

Meal #4-Salmon Patties, Quinoa and Green Beans
Salmon patties can be a pain when using canned salmon b/c of the bones. Just make sure you carefully pull the fish out and open it and you can usually get the in one fell swoop. If you want to use fresh, be my guest too. I just tried to make these like my grandpa used to. On that note, they taste so much better if you fry them in a cast iron skillet. I don't know why, they just do!

Quinoa is a fairly new food to me. If you want to read up on it, by all means do. It has:
More protein than any other grain
tons of fiber
and is GF!
It is very similar to cous cous except much better for you!
Here's a yummy recipe using it.

Meal #5-Breakfast Waffles

There isn't much of a recipe here, just making it from the GF package. I do add in vanilla and cinnamon to mine. I also topped them with fresh blueberries and syrup.
We also made sausage to go along with the sweet waffles!
Jeremy and I both like brinner (breakfast for dinner) and being that it is usually a quick and easy dinner, I usually make some form of it once every two weeks. Sometimes more. As long as you don't get carried away with the sweets and remember to add in fruit and protein, it isn't too bad for you!

No comments: