Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Stuffed Portobellos

First of all, I apologize for any weird colors in these photos. I didn't feel like editing tonight.
Ingredients:
1 pkg Italian Sausage
1 pkg frozen spinach (defrosted)
4-6  large portobellos or 10-12 smaller ones (as seen below)
1 8oz block of Neufchatel cheese (low fat cream cheese....hey I am trying to save a few fat grams!)
3 cloves of garlic
1/4 cup parmesean cheese
2-3 Tbsp white wine
Olive oil for drizzling


First of all, remove sausage from casing....just squeeze it out. Yes I know its gross but its better than having casing in your mushrooms. Brown in a skillet, breaking up as you go.

Meanwhile, cut up new potatoes and put in bowl. (No, my potatoes aren't green, that is the weird color I was talking about) Drizzle with EVOO and season with S&P and fresh herbs. I had Lemon Thyme growing on my deck so I used that. Toss.

Place on baking sheet and put in oven at 375.

Okay, here our sausage is done browning.

Put defrosted box of spinach (minus the box) in a clean kitchen towel and squeeze all the liquid out.

Combine cream cheese, spinach, parmesean, garlic, wine, sausage and chopped mushroom stems together in a bowl. (Notice I am using the same bowl I used for the potatoes so I don't have so many dishes!) Oh yeah, I take the stems out of the mushrooms and chop them up to add to the mix so I don't waste!

See, here in the front is our little mushroom with his stem and the ones in the back have been destemified.

Use spoon to fill mushrooms....overfill really....in fact, I had leftover filling that I put in a ramekin and baked alone.....trust me, you will eat it.
 Sprinkle mushrooms with parmesean and drizzle with EVOO. Bake for 15 minutes with potatoes that have already been in the oven.

This is what your potatoes should look like when they are done. Crispy edges thanks to the Olive Oil.

And here's a plateful. These turned out awesome if I do say so myself.

No comments: